Sad Quotes About Death
Death is a part of nature and the death of another human being is difficult to process, but finding a way to comfort oneself during a time like this is important. That is why there are many memorials that are constructed because people want to honor the lives that were lost and preserve the memories too.
- “Death may be the greatest of all human blessings” – Socrates
- “How people die remains in the memory of those who live on” – Dame Cicely Saunders
- “It is natural to die as to be born” – Francis Bacon
- “Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them” – George Eliot
- “Death, they say, acquits us of all obligations” – Michel Eyquem de Montaigne
- “Death is the wish of some, the relief of many, and the end of all” – Lucius Annaeus Seneca
- “The goal of all life is death” – Sigmund Freud
- “After your death, you will be what you were before your birth” – Arthur Schopenhauer
- “No one here gets out alive” – Jim Morrison
- “I want to be all used up when I die” – George Bernard Shaw
Also check: Easter Quotes, and Science Quotes
Saddest Quotes About Death
Having a friend or loved one die is both traumatic and stressful, especially when it’s someone we have a close relationship. So, of course, trying to find ways to help in those difficult times is helpful for everyone involved. These saddest quotes about death will surely help you to heal your sorrow.
- “Nothing in life is promised except death” – Kanye West
- “And we wept that one so lovely should have a life so brief” – William Cullen Bryant
- “They say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time” – Banksy
- “Man alone chimes the hour. And, because of this, man alone suffers a paralyzing fear that no other creature endures. A fear of time running out” – Mitch Albom
- “After all, what’s life, anyway? We’re born, we live a little while, we die” – E.B. White
- “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone” – Harriet Beecher-Stowe
- “Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal” – Unknown
- “Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day. Unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed and very dear” – Unknown
- “A friend who dies, it’s something of you who dies” – Gustave Flaubert
- “Many people die at twenty five and aren’t buried until they are seventy five” – Benjamin Franklin
Final Goodbye Sad Quotes About Death
It’s often still incredibly helpful to hear and read about how other people have managed their own grieving process. We’ve put together a selection of the most comforting, inspirational, and touching quotes about death, to help us find peace and solace during difficult times.
- “We all die. The goal isn’t to live forever, the goal is to create something that will” – Chuck Palahniuk
- “Death is something inevitable. When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country, he can rest in peace” – Nelson Mandela
- “It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time” – Samuel Johnson
- “Death is no more than passing from one room into another. But there’s a difference for me, you know. Because in that other room I shall be able to see” – Helen Keller
- “Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose” – Steve Jobs
- “The truth I have been seeking – this truth is Death. Yet Death is also a seeker. Forever seeking me. So – we have met at last. And I am prepared. I am at peace” – Bruce Lee
- “To die will be an awfully big adventure” – J.M. Barrie
- “I discovered to my joy, that it is life, not death, that has no limits” – Gabriel García Márquez
- “Our death is not an end if we can live on in our children and the younger generation. For they are us; our bodies are only wilted leaves on the tree of life” – Albert Einstein
Continue Reading Articles: Bad Bitch Quotes, Country Girl Quotes, Hot Love Romantic Quotes, Good night blessings images
Death Quotes That Will Make You Cry
Another way of finding comfort and understanding during such difficult times might be through talking about one’s grief with others going through similar situations.
Below are a few death quotes that will make you cry.
- “I would rather die a meaningful death than to live a meaningless life” – Corazon Aquino
- “Death never takes a wise man by surprise; he is always ready to go” – Jean de la Fontaine
- “Dying is a troublesome business: there is a pain to be suffered, and it wrings one’s heart, but death is a splendid thing – a warfare accomplished, a beginning all over again, a triumph. You can always see that in their faces” – George Bernard Shaw
- “You will lose someone you can’t live without, and your heart will be badly broken, and the bad news is that you never completely get over the loss of your beloved. But this is also the good news. They live forever in your broken heart that doesn’t seal back up. And you come through. It’s like having a broken leg that never heals perfectly – that still hurts when the weather gets cold, but you learn to dance with the limp” – Anne Lamott
- “Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one’s head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday and no tomorrow. To forget time, to forget life, to be at peace” – Oscar Wilde
- “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind” – C.S. Lewis
- “How can the dead be truly dead when they still live in the souls of those who are left behind?” – Carson McCullers
- “The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?” – Edgar Allan Poe
- “Life is for the living. Death is for the dead. Let life be like music. And death a note unsaid” – Langston Hughes
Life & Death Sayings and Quotes
Life & death sayings and quotes are a way that works for some people to seek out something that makes them feel more connected or less distant from the person who has gone.
- “Birth and death are the most singular events we experience – and the contemplation of death, as of birth, should be a thing of beauty, not ignobility” – Jacob K. Javits
- “Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives” – Andrew Sachs
- “Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another” – Ernest Hemingway
- “If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die” – Stephen King
- “Live how we can, yet die we must” – William Shakespeare
- “When someone we love dies, we get so busy mourning what died that we ignore what didn’t” – Ram Dass
- “A dying man needs to die, as a sleepy man needs to sleep, and there comes a time when it is wrong, as well as useless, to resist” – Stewart Alsop
- “All that live must die, Passing through nature to eternity” – William Shakespeare
- “The connections we make in the course of a life – maybe that’s what heaven is” – Fred Rogers
Comforting Death Quotes
In my opinion, some of the most comforting words about death exist in quotes. So, I have collected some of the best comforting death and dying quotes.
Read these quotes and become enlightened from some of the most meaningful words anyone has ever used to describe the mystery of death.
- “Unable are the Loved to die, for love is immortality..” – Emily Dickinson
- “To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure” – J.K. Rowling
- “Happiness can exist only in acceptance” – George Orwell
- “There is love in holding and there is love in letting go” – Elizabeth Berg
- “Good men must die, but death cannot kill their names” – Unknown
- “Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come” – Rabindranath Tagore
- “Only a moment you stayed, but what an imprint your footprints have left in our hearts.” – Dorothy Ferguson
- “By becoming deeply aware of our mortality, we intensify our experience of every aspect of life” – Robert Greene
- “The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
- “Every man dies – not every man really lives” – William Ross Wallace
Quotes About Death To Make You Strong
We all know that the death of our loved ones definitely gives us shock and sadness. And suddenly we feel our life boring and empty. These quotes about death will surely make you strong and helpful to ease your pain.
- “Death is a great revealer of what is in a man, and in its solemn shadow appear the naked lineaments of the soul” – E.H. Chapin
- “Death, in itself, is nothing; but we fear, to be we know not what, we know not where” – John Dryden
- “It’s only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest as if it was the only one we had” – Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- “Death aims only once, but never misses” – Edward Counsel
- “Loss and possession, death and life are one. There falls no shadow where there shines no sun” – Hilaire Belloc
- “The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity” – Seneca
- “Every parting is a form of death, as every reunion is a type of heaven” – Tryon Edwards
- “Death does not concern us because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist” – Epicurus
- “Death is just nature’s way of telling you to slow down” – Dick Sharples
Death Quotes That Will Comfort You
It is a reality and a sad fact that with life comes death. It happens to all of us. But that does not make understanding it easier.
Below is our collection of death quotes that will merely help to comfort you.
- “It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens” – Woody Allen
- “They say such nice things about people at their funerals that it makes me sad that I’m going to miss mine by just a few days” – Garrison Keillor
- “When you’ve told someone that you’ve left them a legacy the only decent thing to do is to die at once” – Samuel Butler
- “When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did – in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car” – Unknown
- “At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I’m not there I carry on as usual” – Patrick Moore
- “Death is nature’s way of saying, ‘Your table is ready’” – Robin Williams
- “I am ready to meet my maker, but whether my maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter” – Winston Churchill
- “Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order” – David Gerrold
- “So it’s true when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” –E.A. Bucchianeri
Deep Death Quotes
Death has mostly been the focus of deep and wise thinkers. Many authors and philosophers have written about dying and considered what it means to us.
These deep death quotes about death look at dying in a more intelligent and philosophical way.
- “What is hardest to accept about the passage of time is that the people who once mattered the most to us wind up in parentheses.” –John Irving
- “Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them.” –George Eliot
- “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.” –J.K. Rowling’
- “It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” –Henry Rollins
- “There is a time for departure, even when there’s no certain place to go.” –Tennessee Williams
- “You meet everyone twice in this life, when they come and when they go.” –C.C Aurel
- “Grief is not as heavy as guilt, but it takes more away from you.” –Veronica Roth
- “Death is the dropping of the flower that the fruit may swell.” –Henry Ward ‘Beecher
Does losing a loved one feel like your heart is being torn in half? You are not alone, many people have felt this way, and it’s okay to feel this way. The pain that you feel with the loss of a loved one is a deeply personal and private wish.
These sad quotes about death of a loved one is going to show you how to overcome the loss of a loved one, so that you can continue on with your life.