“Gaslighting” is psychological bullying in which false information is intentionally presented to the victim so as to make them doubt their perception of events and own memory. Gaslighter enjoys the feeling of power they have over you when they’re gossiping with their friends or telling lies about you in order to ruin your reputation. Our collection of gaslighting quotes will be helpful to deal with gaslighters. The next time you wonder if someone has been saying nasty things behind your back, just listen closely and watch them closely too!
Narcissist Gaslighting Quote
- “Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation and emotional abuse.”
- “Lies don’t end relationships the truth does.” ― Shannon L. Alder
- “Gaslighters avoid responsibility for their toxic behavior by lying and denying and making you question facts, your memory, and your feelings.”
- “Gaslighters confuse, intimidate, and disempower people … for the purpose of controlling other people, and promoting the abuser’s interests.”
- “Gaslighting, at its core, is a form of emotional abuse that slowly eats away at your ability to make judgments.”
- “Preston Ni’s Gaslighting Stages: Lie and exaggerate, Repetition, Escalate when challenged, Wear out the victim, Form codependent relationships, Give false hope, Dominate and control. “
Why do Narcissists and other People Gaslight?
Gaslighting is a form of emotional abuse aimed at undermining an individual’s trust in their own memory, perception, and sanity. This can be done in a lot of ways like directly telling someone they are wrong or lying to them about situations that happened in the past in order to make it seem like they are losing their mind or becoming delusional.
- “Someone who gaslights you is trying to talk you out of your experience to alleviate their shame and responsibility to an issue. It’s a tool to control and manipulate you.”– Dr. Henry Cloud
- “Gaslighting is a subtle form of emotional manipulation that often results in the recipient doubting their own perception of reality and their sanity. In addition, gaslighting is a method of manipulation by toxic people to gain power over you. The worst part about gaslighting is that it undermines your self-worth to the point where you’re second-guessing everything.” — Dana Arcuri
- “Gaslighting: An emotional abuse to burn your sanity.”
- “Gaslighting is a distorted alternate reality.” – Tracy Malone
- “Gaslighting is an attempt to change the truth.” – Tracy Malone
- “Gaslighting is a slow unconscious loss of reality.” – Tracy Malone
- “Gaslighting is implanted narratives cloaked in secrecy.” – Tracy Malone
- “Gaslighting are lies with a purpose to confuse and control.” – Tracy A Malone
- “Gaslighting is mind control to make victims doubt their reality.” – Tracy A. Malone
- “And I hate how you made me question myself when the problem was you all along.”
- “Gaslighting is when you don’t remember things the same as they do.” – Tracy Malone
- “Gaslighting of the soul: They do everything to dim your light, and then they ask you why you’re not shining.”
- “Gaslighting, when their words never seem to match up with their actions, yet their reasons leave you feeling like you’re going crazy.”
- “If you feel that you could be a victim of gaslighting, continue to research this problem and reach out to a mental health professional.”
- “People don’t want to hear this, but words not matching actions is called manipulation. And refusing to be held accountable for it is gaslighting.”
- “Gas-lighters minimize your feelings to gain power over you. They say things like: “Why are you so sensitive?” “Calm down. You are overreacting.””
- “Gaslighting: A subtle form of emotional manipulation that often results in the recipient doubting their perception of reality and their sanity.”
- “Gaslighting: An abuse used to instill chronic doubt and condition the victim to question their own memory, perception of events, and sense of reality.”
- “100% of people who tell you you’re too sensitive are saying it because they don’t want to be held responsible for your reaction when they mistreat you.”
- “Your abuser hides your belongings from you, fooling you to question your memory and think that your memory is faulty and weak. That’s Gaslighting.”
- “Gas-lighters confuse, intimidate, and disempower people… for the purpose of controlling other people, and promoting the abuser’s interests.” – Linda Hatch, Phd
- “One of the first steps in freeing yourself from a gaslighting relationship, is to acknowledge how unpleasant and hurtful you find this emotional apocalypse.” – Robin Stern
- “People don’t wanna hear this, but words not matching actions is called manipulation. And refusing to be held accountable for it is called gaslighting. Honey we’re talking abuse.”
- “Emotional abuse is designed to undermine another’s sense of self. It is deliberate humiliation, with the intent to seize control of how others feel about themselves.” – Lorraine Nilon
- “Gaslighting Phrases: 1. You’re being dramatic. 2. You’re overreacting. 3. Stop blowing it out of proportion. 4. There’s no love in your voice. 5. That’s what you heard, not what I said.”
- “You are having a conversation with someone. They leave. And now you are absolutely confused and doubt your memories and perception of reality. That person just Gaslighted you.”
Common quotes about Gaslighting
Another way gaslighting can occur is by persuading someone into believing something is true when you know it isn’t, such as convincing an employee that they have failed at something when in reality they did a good job.
- “People who harm you will blame you for it. Remember, an abuser will generally always play the victim, spin a story, tell everyone and they generally call you crazy.” – Maranda Pleasant
- “Let’s say you have now planned to corner your gas-lighter and question them. They will shower love to fool you yet again. “You know how much I love you. I would never hurt you on purpose.”
- “Invalidation is crazy-making, and it is also at the root of gaslighting, where victim’s feelings are purposely denied or manipulated in order to make them question their sanity.” – Smantha Rodman
- “Gas-lighters spread rumors about you and can even tell you that others also think that about you. Unfortunately an extremely effective tactic that will make you feel that something is wrong with you.”
- “Gaslighting. That’s what it’s called. The most awful form of emotional abuse. Thabile Ngwato’s reply to someone who said that the most dangerous people are the ones who hurt then act like you hurt them.”
- “Stay away from people who always consider you expressing how you feel as you arguing or being extra. It’s called gaslighting. Toxic people do that so they don’t have to take accountability for their own behavior.”
- “Gas-lighters want to be in control and throw responsibility onto their partner while tearing them down. This tactic is proven every time a partner unknowingly tries harder or attempts to prove the gas-lighter wrong.”
- “Gaslighting qualifies as a form of emotional abuse that involves denying a person’s experience and making statements, such as “that never happened,” “you’re too sensitive,” or “this isn’t that big a deal.” – Ramani Durvasula
- “Effects of Gaslighting: No trust on own judgements. Depressed decision making ability. Anxiety. Depression. Constant self-doubt. Stressed out feelings. Low self-esteem. Altered perception about reality. Social isolation and withdrawal.”
- “Common gaslighting responses: I was just joking. I didn’t do that. You’re imagining things. You were there with us. You make stuff up in your head. You have issues. You’re upset over nothing. Here we go again. I never said that. There’s always drama with you.”
- “Few Phrases Gaslighters Use: 1. You’re crazy – that never happened. 2. You’re so sensitive. 3. You’re overreacting. 4. You must be confused again. 5. That’s not right; you’re remembering things wrong. 6. Just calm down. 7. I never said that. 8. What are you talking about?”
- “Let us not get scooped up by gaslighting manipulators stealing our emotions and taking possession of our inner child to carry out their dark agenda. Let the light of our intuition guide us subtly and wisely along the path of trust and suspicion. (“Juicy rumors”)” – Erik Pevernagie
- “Gaslighting: A form of psychological abuse involving the manipulation of situations or events that cause a person to be confused or to doubt his perceptions and memories. Gaslighting causes victims to constantly second-guess themselves and wonder if they’re losing their minds.”
- “Gaslighting their partners into believing the abuse isn’t real by denying, minimizing or rationalizing the abuse. This includes deflecting any conversations about accountability using circular conversations and word salad in order to avoid being held accountable for their actions.” – Shahida Arabi
- “Remember, someone that does something bad to you, will always try to control the narrative, and they generally get out there first and spin the story to anyone who will listen. I always like to watch the quiet one. You are not alone.” – Maranda Pleasant, Origin: Music, Art, Yoga Consciousness
- “Narcissists have been planting the seed that you are crazy fro day one.” ― Tracy Malone
- “It starts with a lie. Each day the lies amplify. Time goes by, the lies turn to gaslighting. Eventually, the lies become smears about you.” — Tracy Malone
Relationship Gaslighting Quotes
The Gaslighter goes to great lengths either by lying to you or making you believe that you may have forgotten facts, your memory, and/or your feelings regarding the situation. Gaslighting, brainwashing, cults, hostage situations, and totalitarian propaganda have a common basis.
- “You’re being irrational.”
- “You are crazy and need help.”
- “You are just insecure and jealous.”
- “If you were paying attention…”
- “You can’t take a joke.”
- “You always jump to the wrong conclusion.” — Unknown
- “You don’t even know what you really want.” — Unknown
- “You’re the only person I have these problems with.” — Unknown
- “Maybe that’s what you heard in your head, but it’s not what I said.” — Unknown
- “You should have known that this was not a good time to talk.” — Unknown
Short Gaslighting Quotes
- “It’s OK to get gaslighted once in a while; that’s how you learn to burn brighter without guile.” — Philusufar
- “The purpose of gaslighting is to manipulate you into doubting yourself.” — Unknown
- “You tried to gaslight me. You pissed on my foot and told me it was raining.” — Helen M. Pugsley
- “The narcissist loves playing mind games with you. They are clever to conceal who they are.” — Dana Arcuri
- “Some people do Oscar-winning performances to gaslight your good heart. Do not forget what they are.” — Dinakar
- “Gaslighting is a form of covert abuse designed to keep you in a fog and slowly strip away your self-esteem.” — Unknown
- “Whenever someone is not seeing, accepting, owning and expressing their actual personal truth, it will automatically become a gaslighting situation.” — Teal Swan
Gaslighting Quotes about abuse and manipulation
- “Toxic people be like, ‘How dare you set boundaries and not allow me to control and manipulate you?’” — Wingheart
- “Changed behavior is the only apology; otherwise, it’s just manipulation.” — Maranda Pleasant
- “Emotional abuse is designed to undermine another’s sense of self. It is deliberate humiliation, with the intent to seize control of how others feel about themselves.” — Lorraine Nilon
- “Invalidation is crazy-making, and it is also at the root of gaslighting, where victims’ feelings are purposely denied or manipulated in order to make them question their sanity.” — Samantha Rodman
- “The aim of gaslighting is to make you feel bad about something you need not feel bad about. Gaslighting is emotional abuse… happens in the real world and on social media, too.” — Vikram Karve
‘What is gaslighting’ Quotes
- “Gaslighting: These predators prey on susceptible individuals who believe in their false altruism, affection, and promises of protection.” — Ross Rosenberg
- “It is not okay for someone you like to treat you poorly and then pretend it didn’t happen, making you question your own grasp of reality. This dynamic is called gaslighting.” — Unknown
- “Your narcissistic abuser withholds information in a conversation and replaces it with false information. That’s gaslighting.”
- “Gaslighting can be subtle and unintentional, but as feminist writer Nora Samaran explains, it is particularly insidious because it undermines people’s trust in their own capacities.” — Carla Bergman, Joyful Militancy: Building Thriving Resistance in Toxic Times
- “Gas-lighters are most successful when they believably cast themselves as loyal and dutiful protectorates who are unconditionally invested in defending and caring for their beloved gaslit victims.” — Ross Rosenberg
- “Gaslighting is confusing because they switch to intermittent concern.” – Tracy Malone
- “People don’t want to hear this, but words not matching actions is called manipulation. And refusing to be held accountable for it is gaslighting.”
- “Whenever someone is not seeing, accepting, owning and expressing their actual personal truth, it will automatically become a gaslighting situation.” – Teal Swan
- “Quitters always believe the lies they tell themselves because delusion is easier to live with than the reality that they settled for an easier path.” – Shannon L. Alder
Narcissist Gaslighting Quotes
- “Emotional abuse can leave a victim feeling like a shell of a person, separated from the true essence of who they naturally are. It also leads to a victim feeling tormented and tortured by their own emotions.” – Lorraine Nilon
- “Your mental illness is used against you. A diagnosis of mental illness is easily used as a platform for blame. When your mental illness is at fault for every problem that arises in your relationship, you could be a victim of gaslighting.”
- “Gas-lighters are habitual liars. They lie to your face and never change their story even if you have proof. They’ll say “You’re crazy. That never happened”. They can be so convincing that you may actually start believing you’re crazy.”
- “Secrecy Requirement: gaslighting can only work if the victim is manipulated into a covenant of secrecy. Such is implemented when the victim is convinced that the outside world, or formerly trusted people, have a vested interest in hurting them.” – Ross Rosenberg
- “Gaslighting their partners into believing the abuse isn’t real by denying, minimizing, or rationalizing the abuse. This includes deflecting any conversations about accountability using circular conversations and word salad in order to avoid being held accountable for their actions.” – Shahida Arabi
What is the Impact of gaslighting on One’s Thoughts?
- Staying silent or lying to avoid a reaction.
- It becomes increasingly difficult to make decisions. Constantly apologizing for our behavior.
- Trying best to earn back the loving side of the person.
- Feeling confused = second-guessing our memories.
- “Over time gaslighting creates the effects of confusion, brain fog, self-doubt, disorientation, paranoia, fear, terror, feeling like you’re losing your mind, difficulty making judgements or decisions, second-guessing your memory, feeling like you aren’t good enough, and it can even cause nervous breakdowns.”
- There is a message in the way a person treats you. Just listen
- Mind control makes victims doubt their reality.
- Abuser and victim, and emotional abuse can turn into physical violence.
- As in all abusive relationships, the abused mistakenly assumes the kindest version of the abuser is the real one.
- There are far too many silent suffers. Not because don’t yearn for women but because they’ve tried and found no one who cares.
- So many people suffer from abuse and suffer alone.
- Your abuser’s trauma does not justify them abusing you.
- A healthy relationship doesn’t drop down. It inspire you to be better.
- When you react, you are giving away your power. When you respond, you are staying in control of yourself.